2022-12-14: How Can Matter Be BOTH Liquid AND Gas?
- 17:05: Amorphant points out that we didn’t mention magnetic monopoles as an example of quasiparticles.
- 17:18: Actual magnetic monopoles, if they really exist, would be elementary particles, and we’ve done an episode on these before.
2022-02-23: Are Cosmic Strings Cracks in the Universe?
- 07:33: ... a zero-dimensional, point-like topological defect would be a magnetic monopoles, which we talked about recently. There are also ways to produce 2-D ...
2021-10-13: New Results in Quantum Tunneling vs. The Speed of Light
- 14:15: In the last episode we talked about why physicists believe magnetic monopoles.
- 14:19: ... - the radiating knots in the Higgs field that might lead to magnetic monopoles. ...
- 15:23: Erik says that if magnetic monopoles are massive enough to collapse the early univeres, wouldn’t we only find them inside black holes?
- 15:36: ... certainly possible that magnetic monopoles to end up inside black holes, in fact some recent work suggests that an ...
- 16:23: ... Magnetic monopoles aside, why did Moody arrange for the whole Goblet of Fire thing when he ...
2021-10-05: Why Magnetic Monopoles SHOULD Exist
- 00:08: It’s the magnetic monopole - and of all the fantastical beasts of particle physics, this is perhaps the most likely to actually exist.
- 01:11: ... you slice it - you’ll never get isolated magnetic charges - what we call magnetic monopoles. ...
- 02:12: If that’s true then, why should we even expect there to be isolated magnetic charges - magnetic monopoles?
- 02:22: The non-existence of magnetic monopoles is codified in the mathematics of electrodynamics.
- 02:57: According to this law there are no magnetic monopoles.
- 04:05: ... nothing in Maxwell’s equations that really says magnetic monopoles can’t exist except for the fact that James Clark Maxwell set the ...
- 04:18: But in principle it could exist, and so could magnetic monopoles.
- 05:22: So perhaps here we have our reason for the apparent non-existence of magnetic monopoles.
- 05:49: But then in 1931, just before his antimatter thing was verified, Dirac made another prediction - of the existence of magnetic monopoles.
- 06:30: ... the string part of the Dirac string is fundamentally undetectable, then magnetic monopoles can ...
- 08:13: ... charge - electric charge has to be discrete if there’s even a single magnetic monopole in the entire ...
- 08:34: ... this as a prediction of charge quantization, you can also flip it: magnetic monopoles are possible if electric charge is ...
- 09:19: Well it turns out that magnetic monopoles are inevitable in all “GUTs”.
- 10:55: And it turns out these knots in the Higgs field in GUT theories behave as massive particles with magnetic charge - magnetic monopoles.
- 11:12: ... turns out that GUT theories generically predict these magnetic monopoles, and that they should be A) very massive, and B) should form ...
- 11:29: The fact that magnetic monopoles should exist in these theories was both exciting and problematic.
- 12:16: ... should have happened after the production of magnetic monopoles, and so should have thrown these things far apart that there may be very ...
- 12:36: ... you have one of these magnetic monopoles in your lab it wouldn’t be too hard to spot - for example a monopole ...
- 13:24: ... also look for magnetic monopoles coming from space - typically using cosmic ray observatories - or ...
- 13:37: We have been hunting for magnetic monopoles for longer than just about any particle.
- 14:18: Kyle, we are taught by Paul Dirac that if there's even a single magnetic monopole in the entire universe then electric charge must be quantized.
- 14:28: We don't know where that single magnetic monopole would be, but it's rare and special and so we decided to name it after you.
- 14:36: ... now Kyle, the magnetic monopole Kyle - is doubly important - sure, it ensures the quantization of all ...
2020-09-28: Solving Quantum Cryptography
- 14:24: Last week we talked about a highly speculative idea - lifeforms inside stars, formed from cosmic strings and magnetic monopoles.
- 15:28: John Momberg asks if this could all happen with electric monopoles, given that magnetic monopoles don’t exist.
- 15:35: Well, first let me say that magnetic monopoles may well exist - in fact mainstream grand unified theory candidates routinely predict them.
2020-09-21: Could Life Evolve Inside Stars?
- 00:16: Oh, and here’s an extra crazy one - life composed of cosmic strings and magnetic monopoles, evolving in the hearts of stars.
- 01:03: ... and defects in the fabric of the universe - cosmic strings beaded with magnetic monopoles - may evolve into complex structures, and even life, within ...
- 01:28: What exactly are cosmic strings and magnetic monopoles?
- 01:38: Cosmic strings and magnetic monopoles are what we call topological defects.
- 03:44: ... go through the possibilities: a 0-dimensional topological defect is a magnetic monopole - like the north or south pole of a bar magnet that somehow lost its ...
- 05:44: With simple magnetic monopoles, the only possible necklace is an alternating series of north and south poles - or poles and anti-poles.
2019-08-06: What Caused the Big Bang?
- 01:04: Another problem fixed by inflation is the absence of magnetic monopoles.
7 result(s) shown.