2021-10-05: Why Magnetic Monopoles SHOULD Exist
- 00:55: So if we cut this bar in half surely we get a pair of magnetic charges similar to our electric charges, right?
- 01:11: ... doesn’t matter how many times you slice it - you’ll never get isolated magnetic charges - what we call magnetic ...
- 02:12: If that’s true then, why should we even expect there to be isolated magnetic charges - magnetic monopoles?
- 03:40: You could also have symmetry between these equations if there was such a thing as magnetic charge.
- 03:46: If you add magnetic charges to these equations then you get a magnetic force that looks exactly like the electrostatic force.
- 04:05: ... can’t exist except for the fact that James Clark Maxwell set the magnetic charge to zero because he didn’t believe it ...
- 06:23: So make the width of the coil much smaller than the length, and it looks like two isolated magnetic charges.
- 10:55: And it turns out these knots in the Higgs field in GUT theories behave as massive particles with magnetic charge - magnetic monopoles.
1 result(s) shown.